Thursday, January 10, 2008

Don't eat any Chinese food today or you'll be very sick

After living in USA for 5 months, I noticed lots of ang-moh here misunderstood Chinese culture here, and thus created lots of jokes.

I was chatting with a friend on the other day regarding her coming Asia trip, that she will come to Singapore with me in May. She was very excited about the trip, and all of sudden, she happily said:

'Wow... then I can have lots of fortune cookies then.'



Sorry to say that I can't stop laughing after I hear this. So I told her:

'Frankly speaking, I never heard of fortune cookies in my country until I come to USA. There is no fortune cookies in my country, unless you are speaking of kueh-kapit.'



'Oh really? How about the Chinese carryout box'?



'Nah... We use those same kind of boxes that you guys use.'

'Oh really? That's funny....hahahahaha...'



Another joke would be my Asian friend brought a local to an authentic Chinese restaurant to have a meal. After the food being served, the local was very unhappy and said:

'Hei.. This is not Chinese food!'

My friend shook her head, and said:

'Pal, the so-called Chinese food that you had were not authentic Chinese food. They were American-Chinese food. Try this, this is good'.

My friend claimed that she can see the surprise face of the local, it's kinda like 'OMG, the McChicken that I always had is not from McDonald'.

:o

*************************************************************************************

Today, after recalling the funny incidents, I went to check the origin of Fortune Cookie in Internet:-

Throughout the western world, Fortune Cookie is usually served with Chinese food as a dessert. The message inside may also include a list of lucky numbers (used by some as lottery numbers) and a Chinese phrase with translation. Fortune cookies were invented in California, and are little-known in mainland China.

It is believed that Fortune Cookies contain wisdom....




Very wisdom indeed.

2 comments:

haan said...

interesting, as i went thru the same as u, although not in US. they have to make it US-style (hard to be truly authentic) coz they are doing business. otherwise, how to survive? are there more asians than westerns there? nope right? :)

didn't the waiter tell u: don't order this lar. this is for westerns only (e.g. honey chicken)? i bet the owner should be asian?

k0k s3n w4i said...

Same situation here in India. The offending dish is the chop suey and gobi manchurian - both thought by locals to be real Chinese food. Even Chinese themed promotions from Domino's Pizza and other fast food chains show a laughable grasp on the concept of Chinese dining.